Many companies pride themselves in having flat hierarchies.
What this usually means, is:
- People don't know what they are talking about, because hierarchies are by design pyramidal.
- There are lots and lots of tiny kings and queens who eagerly meddle with other people's territories.
When it comes to documentation there are three schools of thought:
- We need documentation
- Documentation is totally unnecessary
- We don't give a *#%!, just leave us alone
The fun begins when a member of group 2 decides that a certain product does not require any documentation, because:
- it is totally self-explanatory
- it will soon be updated anyway
- it is virtually identical to a completely different product
When, inevitability, a customer demands documentation for an undocumented product, a new school of thought instantaneously emerges:
- We need documentation, but leave us alone because documentation is totally unnecessary *#%! anyway